Saturday, April 18, 2009

Stranger than fiction

So this is what it's like to be a real live published author.

*looks around*

Yeah, it isn't much different. Except for the obsessive stalking of my Amazon sales rank.

It's strange to think that people all over the world could be (and likely are, at least a few of them are) holding my book in their hands and reading it for the first time, having reactions to it, liking it or hating it, staying up late to read it (a few have told me they did), rooting for Jack and D, maybe getting emotional. Some are tossing it aside without a second thought upon finishing, some are going online and talking about it, some are writing me emails, some are joining my mailing list.

It's quite something to have put something into the world that other people react to, you know? It's not my first time doing that, but this is the first time it's been...I don't know, official.

Just looking at the book itself, for me, is strange. It's...real. It's something I wrote, and it's a real live book with a bar code and a copyright page. It's weird to read the pages horizontally, with a new page to the side instead of below, as I've been reading this book on computer screens over the entire course of its creation.

It's a trip, man.

1 comment:

  1. I read this and got all upset and went 'wah, why isn't my book here?!?', and checked the mail and lo and behold! I am the proud owner of an autographed copy and everything! It's bigger than I expected; I was thinking bantam paperback size, but it's regular real book size. Oh, happy squee!

    Becca (aeditimi)

    ReplyDelete